Troubleshooting issues with your garage door and openers.
We sometimes take for granted how hard our garage doors work for us day in and day out….that is until they break. A lot of garage door troubles can be handled quite easily by the homeowner without the need of a professional. If you are experiencing problems with your garage door or your garage door opener please take a look through this troubleshooting guide and maybe you can fix it yourself without the expense of a technician. If you find that you still need help please feel free to call us any time. We would love to help you out.
I hear squeaking sounds whenever I open or close my garage door.
There are a few reasons why this could be happening. The most likely culprits are: Your springs could be rusty, The lubrication could be breaking down, Or there could be something stuck in or around the track. Of course there are many other less likely potential causes so please don’t hesitate to call us for assistance.
My garage door won't go down anymore.
My garage door is sticking
- Check wood jambs; could need adjusting or replacing
- In winter months, make sure bottom section is not frozen to concrete
- Lubricate tracks regularly
- Check all moving parts for restrictions
My garage door does not open smoothly
- Too little tension on spring — Increase spring tension slightly WARNING: See springs instructions for guidelines
- Door is biding on door stops – Adjust tracks or reset stops
- Top of door caught under inside of edge of header – Set header stop in a little further past bottom edge of header
- Horizontal tracks raised above level — Level tracks or increase spring tension slightly WARNING: See springs instructions for guidelines
Garage door is shaking
- Check pulley sheaves; could be loose or broken (if extension springs)
- Check tracks; track brackets, hinges and rollers as they could be loose or need adjusting
- Check horizontal track hangers; could be loose or need adjusting
- Verify edge of door to beginning of track is 3/8-1/2″ no more